AFABW 2011 “Call For Mail Art”
January 15, 2011 – Hollywood: Artists For A Better World International is calling upon global artists to send their mail art to AFABW by July 12, 2011. This mail art campaign honors artists as well as the establishment of an international holiday for the arts, referred to as “ART DAY,” which is celebrated on the second Friday in each August. (This year’s 13th annual Art Day falls on August 12, 2011).
“Mail Art” includes hand-decorated postcards, cards and/or envelopes that are sent through global postal services.
What does Mail Art look like? As the artist, you decide. Mail Art is essentially art using the postal service as the medium.
Founder of the Art Day holiday, Becky Mate says “Mail Art can be sent to anyone, and is all about opening your mailbox and finding a postcard from an artist. It is friendly, compact, instant joy.” Additionally, she encourages all to send their mail art to AFABW by July 12, 2011.
2011 AFABW Int Mail Art Participation Details:
0. This year’s Mail Art theme is “Celebrate Beauty!“
1. If you have not already done so, sign up in the AFABW Artists Directory and become part of the community. If your submission is selected for the 2011 AFABW “Call For Mail Art,” your profile will be featured as well as you art. (See examples in point 6 below).
2. Mail your mail art so it arrives by July 12, 2011 (allow time for postal service in your country or state), along with your email and regular address, to:
Randy Mate, Administrator
ARTISTS FOR A BETTER WORLD (AFABW) INTERNATIONAL
1134 E Lexington Dr, Apt 8
Glendale, CA 91206
3. The Mail Art will be displayed at the annual Founder’s “Art and Chocolate” Art Day Celebration in Glendale, California, Home of Art Day, by international Art Day Founder and Artist for a Better World executive, Becky Mate.
4. A panel of art lovers will select the top Mail Art. The criteria will include aesthetics, colors, imagination and the theme of “Celebrate Artists.”
5. The top Mail Art will be featured at the 11th Annual Artists For A Better World Arts Festival in Hollywood, California in the fall of 2011. If you can attend the festival you’re in for a treat. If you cannot make it, your mail art will be your ambassador.
6. Additionally, the top Mail Art will be featured on the AFABW website. (Click here for the 2010 Mail Art Selections and the 2009 Mail Art Selections).
7. On August 12, 2011, knowing you’ve participated in a worldwide effort to celebrate artists, Have a Happy Art Day!
More ART DAY Information
For information on hosting your own Art Day Party in your area, click “ART DAY” and scroll to the bottom to receive an instant reference on “How to Throw an ART DAY Party!“
For any ART DAY questions, click “CONTACT” and address your email message to Art Day Founder, Becky Mate.