August 5, 2019 – Los Angeles: [updated 5/6/20] Artists For A Better World International is calling on global poets to submit poems for our next printed poetry anthology.
The deadline for written poems is July 31, 2020.
Additionally, some of the poetry will be featured in our “Poem of the Month” selections posted on our website and Facebook Group.
There are also opportunities to submit video poetry which may be featured on our website, Facebook Group and local TV in California.
SUBMIT UP TO THREE POEMS
AFABW Int is dedicated to building a worldwide network of artists who share a vision of creating a better world through aesthetics and is open to artists and art enthusiasts of goodwill from all nationalities, creeds, races, religions and cultures. In short, any and all who desire to help in the creation of a better world are eligible to submit their poetry.
Artists For A Better World International challenges global poets to submit poetry influenced by a theme of “creating a better world” and/or inspiring readers.
For additional insight, please review the purpose of AFABW Int, as delineated in the AFABW Int Mission Statement.
POETRY SUBMISSION DEADLINE
Poets must upload their poetry submissions to the AFABW Int website by midnight, Pacific Standard Time, July 31, 2020.
NOTE: All poetry submitted by the deadline will be given due attention. However, earlier submissions will have an added benefit of more time for consideration.
WRITTEN POETRY SUBMISSION DETAILS
- There is no cost to submit poems.
- Submit no more than three poems.
- Poems should be no more than about 250 words, but shorter poems are preferred.
- Please submit your own work. If it’s co-written with associate poets, ensure each contributing poet is credited.
- Poems may have been previously published elsewhere. If so, please state where and when it was published.
- For poetry in a language other than English, an English version must accompany it.
- Poems may convey any positive or negative emotion and may be serious or playful, as long as the poem supports the theme. Humor is quite acceptable, nor is despair unacceptable, again, as long as the poem supports the theme (above).
- The editors’ decisions regarding poetry selections are final.
- Not all submissions will be accepted. Publication is based on poetry that aligns with the theme above, and possibly, how well a given poem works along with other selected poems.
- Poets should be subscribed to the free monthly AFABW Int Art Line eNewsletter to hear news and updates on the poetry book and other AFABW Int projects.
Note: A few poems published in the completed book may be illustrated with black & white sketches. The selection of which poems will be illustrated is up to the visual artists. Please see info below for Sketch Illustrations of Selected Poems.
SUBMIT YOUR POETRY!
POETRY OF THE MONTH
Each month, from Oct 2019 into 2021, one or more of the most recent written and video poetry submissions will be featured on the AFABW Int website, social media and the AFABW Int Art Line eNewsletter.
Written poems and video poetry that may be featured each month are independent of the written poems that will be published in the physical book. In other words, “Poetry of the Month” is an additional way to honor outstanding poetry, which is not part of the selection process for becoming published in the physical book.
No additional effort from you is necessary for your work to be considered as a poem of the month as well as for publication in the printed anthology.
Visit link to view recent Poetry of the Month.
For those who enjoy multi-media, we offer additional recognition via online videos of poetry readings from participating poets (videos are not a mandatory requirement for the physically printed poetry submissions).
The poets themselves can read their own poems on video, or they can have someone else read their poems on video, or poetry can be recorded as a song and in the style of a music video.
For more information, visit WORLDWIDE CALL FOR VIDEO POETRY.
SKETCH ILLUSTRATIONS OF SELECTED POEMS
After the poems have been selected for publication into the book, and prior to the book’s publication, a “Call for Sketch Illustrations” will be announced requesting visual artists to provide black and white sketches of their favorite poems for potential inclusion in the book.
Visual artists may select one or more of their favorite poems to illustrate.
The idea is to imagine and produce a black and white sketch that represents a visual concept associated with a poem.
BOOK & VIDEO TIMELINE
- Deadline for poetry submissions is July 31, 2020
- Qualifying poems announced via Art Line and website by Nov 15, 2020
- Announce “Call for Sketch Illustrations” to support selected poetry by Nov 15, 2020
- Deadline for video poems is Dec 15, 2020
- Deadline for artwork to illustrate poems is Dec 31, 2020
- Featured “Poetry of the Month” published from October 2019 into 2021
- Completed physical book will be launched in 2021
- Subscribe to the AFABW Int Art Line eNewsletter for announcements
VISIT OUR EARLIER BOOKS
- Better World Stories
- Triumph Of The Human Spirit
- Spirit of Humanity, Poetic Visions Of A Better World
- Bamboo Souls, Poetic Visions Of A Better World
Note: Past AFABW Int physical books were only available to purchase for a limited time. This newest poetry anthology may also have a limited publication and purchase opportunity.
Poets maintain all original rights to their work. By submitting poetry to AFABW Int, or in any way providing poetry or any other art to AFABW Int, poets and artists are granting the right to AFABW Int to include their poems within the AFABW Int poetry compilation book (should their poetry be selected) and to use it for promotional purposes while giving credit to the poet.
Click “CONTACT” for more info.