February 25, 2013 – Los Angeles: Artists For A Better World International is calling upon global artists to send their mail art to AFABW Int by July 15, 2013. This mail art campaign honors artists as well as the establishment of an international holiday for the arts, referred to as “ART DAY,” which is celebrated on the second Friday in each August. (This year’s 15th annual Art Day falls on August 9, 2013).
“Mail Art” includes hand-decorated postcards, cards and/or envelopes that are sent through global postal services. It is not art inside an envelope; it is the envelope or postcard itself.
What does Mail Art look like? As the artist, you decide. Mail Art is essentially art using the postal service as the medium.
Founder of the Art Day holiday, Becky Mate says “Mail Art can be sent to anyone, and is all about opening your mailbox and finding a postcard from an artist. It is friendly, compact, instant joy.” Additionally, she encourages all to send their mail art to AFABW Int by July 15, 2013.
2013 AFABW Int Mail Art Participation Details:
0. The Mail Art theme is “Celebrate Beauty!”
1. If you have not already done so, sign up in the AFABW Int Artists Directory and become part of the community. If your submission is selected for the AFABW Int “Call For Mail Art,” your profile will be featured as well as you art.
2. Send your mail art so it arrives by July 15, 2013 (allow time for postal service in your country or state), along with your email and regular address, to:
ARTISTS FOR A BETTER WORLD (AFABW) INTERNATIONAL
PO Box 1872
Ventura, CA 93002
3. The Mail Art will be displayed at the annual Founder’s “Art and Chocolate” Art Day Celebration in Glendale, California, Home of Art Day, by international Art Day Founder, Becky Mate.
4. The criteria for mail art selections includes aesthetics, colors, imagination and the theme of “Celebrate Beauty.”
5. The top Mail Art will be featured on the AFABW website.
6. On August 9, 2013, knowing you’ve participated in a worldwide effort to celebrate artists and their works of beauty, Have a Happy Art Day!
For information on hosting your own Art Day Party in your area, click “ART DAY” and scroll to the bottom to receive an instant reference on “How to Throw an Art Day Party!”
For any Art Day questions, click “CONTACT” and address your email message to Art Day Founder, Becky Mate.